SPCA New Zealand's animal welfare education programme teaches compassion and responsible behaviour towards animals. The programme helps children recognise that all creatures matter, not just those we regard as cute, friendly or economically beneficial.
The programme integrates into the New Zealand Curriculum subjects our schools already teach, and communicates within real-life, meaningful contexts. When combined with effective teaching practices our pilot study has proved the SPCA's resources can:
- Develop students' knowledge and understandings of animal welfare
- Support students' social and emotional development
- Support citizenship education
- Develop values and encourage empathy, compassion, a sense of responsibility and duty of care for animals
- Support teaching and learning of the NZC Learning Areas.
All New Zealand primary and intermediate school teachers can access the free resources by registering for the SPCA Teachers' Portal.
Children and families can visit the SPCA Kids' Portal for information and resources on animal care.